Monday, February 11, 2013

Charlie — the maine coon

This is Charlie, my maine coon cat. He was born on Sept. 8, 2011, (my first day of college!) that makes him a little over 1 year old. He is very different than any cat I've ever owned — by that I mean he has personality flowing out of his ears.
Each time I walk in the door, I am greeted by my loving cat, begging for attention. When you pick him up, he is sure to give me a hug and a kiss. (Not a real kiss, he licks the tip of my nose.)
He likes being held like a baby, but he's no lap cat. However, not a second will go by that he won't be curious about what you're doing. He's a very nosy cat.
When you're lonely or he wants something, he talks to you. Not only by meowing, he also "chirps."
Unlike many cats, he likes water. I never walk into the bathroom without being accompanied by him, regardless of what I'm in the bathroom for or how long I'm in there. He starts meowing and chirping, asking me to turn the shower on so he can get a drink and get his head wet.
Because of his long fur, he stays hot most of the time. I've caught him sneaking into the refrigerator a few times, looking for a cool place to lay.
When he was spayed last August, the vet said he weighed 9 pounds. I'm not sure how much he weighs now, but I'm sure it's a little more than that. Funny thing is, he won't be done growing yet.
All of these aspects of his personality are due to his breed. Even his fascination with water.
Maine coons are the second most popular breed in the United States. (Behind the persian.)
They are known to be the "gentle giants" out of the domestic cat kingdom. They are not done growing until they are 3 to 5 years in age.
Charlie's paw

They are known to be very sweet, loving and nosy cats. Although they aren't fans of being held, they like to be in your business.
Chirping is also a prominent trait in maine coons. They are also known to be talkative.
Their love for water is said to have come from how they came to the United States, which was by boat.
And yes, they are actually from Maine! They are the only cat to have came from there and their fluffy tails and fur between the pads of their feet are to protect them from the cold.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Whitney, I have a Russian Blue named "Saba", She has traveled 3 different states and lived outdoor wild in NM. She is now a full time house cat that my sister spoils relentlessly. I will be following your blog. If I may, boy cats are neutered and female cats are spayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post, Whitney. Your cat sounds cool, and I'm not a big cat person. It's pretty funny that he greets you when you come home. I don't know if most cats do that. He almost sounds like a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically, he was fixed the same way a girl cat was. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete