Monday, April 8, 2013

Declawing — why I think it's cruel.

Today, My boyfriend and I took a trip to Tractor Supply to find healthier cat food; but what we happened to stumble upon was nail trimmers for kitties.

I am a believer in kitty nail trimmers.

Lily tends to walk, run, play, cuddle and basically do everything with her claws out. 
She's nearly a year old, so I'd say she's outgrown the playful I'm-a-kitten-and-I'll-accidently-scratch-you stage and it's just how she it. 
Some would say she's hard to love because she's extremely skittish. I won't completely disagree, because she's not afraid of me — but I will say that she's hard to love because of those razors she has sticking out of her paws. So purchasing these nail trimmers was almost as essential as purchasing a brush for Charlie.

However, as annoying and painful that her claws are, I refuse to declaw her
Simply put, I don't believe in it.

Thinking in simpler terms, I don't want to declaw my cats because I'm afraid that there will come a time when they might need to live outside and will need their claws to defend themselves against other animals. A declawed cat vs. a clawed cat or other animal... I'd rather not risk it. 

Thinking in moral terms, declawing them would be like de-fingering us.

Cats don't have hands that can grab and fingers that can reach and point. Instead, they have paws with pads and claws. Why would I want to take away an essential part of their functioning? It's painful and cruel.

House cats are descended from the big cats in Africa. Their claws are instinctual. It's how they hunt and play. 
Haven't you ever seen a declawed cat still scratch at floors, furniture and the scratching post? It's almost enough to make you wonder about those instincts...

Just because Lily scratches me, doesn't mean I'm going to forever punish her by taking away part of her essential being. To me, it's cruel and unusual punishment. 
Instead, do what we did and trim your cat's nails up! Just pay close attention to how far up the nail you're trimming and be sure to keep up with it! Once a month is ideal. You'll thank me later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment